I apologize I have yet to figure out why some soundcloud dashboards will sometimes appear and others not. If you see a blank space after a song, I have not spaced out; it is just that I inserted a playback that somehow doesn’t show.
After those technicalities, is the time for a new routine. This one is very vigourous. If some of your students have weak knees, you might want to insure that they put a proper amount of resistance on (more so that the others) throughout the class or that they stay seated all together (at least during the jumps).
It is a very traditional class besides those jumps. I am still very ambivalent towards gimmics in the routine (jumps, hand games, traveling on the bike, etc.). I use them once so often. I believe they make a class go a bit faster because of the variety that it brings. I don’t believe it adds any physical benefits though. But I still wonder the extent of their hindrance.
Here is the routine:
1) Gotye (Passion Pit Remix), learnalilgivinanlovin (4:35). Warm-up.
2) Scissor Sisters, Only the horses (3:43). Start by increasing the resistance for 1 minute standing flat. Increase to a standing climb for 30 sec. Seat with same resistance for 1 min. Go back to standing for the rest of song.
3) Kylie Minogue, Timebomb (2:57). Series of 4 jumps with resistance of 7. 8, 4, 2 cts twice.
4) Gotye (Tempo Edit), Somebody I used to know (4:03). Start climbing in 3rd. Seat at 2 min.
5) David Guetta & Alesso feat. Tegan & Sara, Every chance we get we run (3:47). Steady, jogging pace in 2nd and 3rd positions.
6) Tegan & Sara, Closer (3:32). Runs in 2nd position at 0:36-0:56; at 1:32-2:01; at 2:29-3:12.
7) Florence + The Machine, Spectrum (5:12). Long hill Climb. 1min per grade increase.
8) M83, Reunion (3:55). Jogs on flats in all positions.
9) Maroon 5 & Christina Aguilera (Modjo Mix), Moves like Jagger (4:44). Runs in 2nd. Increase the resistance a touch each time. After each run, take a few seconds and come down to 3rd for isolation work (stabilize the upper body while leaning in 3rd). Run at 1:00-1:31. 3rd and stabilize at 2:00. Run at 2:31-3:02. 3rd and stabilize at 3:34. Run at 4:06-4:36.
10) Obscuresounds mix, Zero Massive Cold Phoenix mashup (3:58). I don’t use that much instrumental music. I like to keep those for cool-downs or for quick focused hills. Rolling hills here: go through all positions and increase resistance a quarter to half a turn. Go through all positions again.
11) imagine Dragons, Amsterdam (4:01). Love this song. Love this city! Finish the rolling hills with a straight hill climb and a long gradual descent until heart rate lowers.
12) Chromatics, cherry (4:32). Cool down.
Nice routine right?
Now answer me if you wish:
ARE YOU PRO- OR CON- ANY UN-TRADITIONAL SPINNING MOVES ON THE BIKE?
(Amanda, SoulCycle mama, you must answer that one!